Saturday, May 8, 2010

“Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.”

And so a generation of British children and their mothers was ushered into stories, songs, and nursery rhymes from 1950 to 1982 with this opening phrase to the BBC radio program “Listen with Mother.” It was followed by the Berceuse of Faure’s Dolly Suite for piano, now synonymous with the show.

To all mothers, who brought us into the world and stuck by us through thick and thin, thanks is never enough.

Here are the mothers in my life. My glamorous Mom with my older brother, and her mother with her grandson.



5 comments:

brenda said...

re the BBC. When my husband first went to England for a shoot, he was sitting in his hotel, bored out of his mind. So he turned on the 'tele.' The night's special program was called: Are you Sitting Comfortably? Let's Read. At which point, a man in a wing chair appeared on the screen and proceeded to do just that. READ out loud for a whole hour. I love your blog and thank you for the spelling correction re Peal/Peel.

Mapeel said...

Brenda, it's a mutual admiration society! (Is that your ankle with the book tat? It's great.) The Brits have that literary DNA, no doubt about it.

brendaandthefword said...

Yeah. that' my foot/tat. It's an open book. Because I'm not. I got it instead of Botox.

Kelly Wilson said...

Mums, where would we be without them? They are the best!

Mapeel said...

Thanks for stopping by Kelly.