Saturday, August 3, 2013

Doctor Who: What Are the Oods, Summer 2013 Edition

Updated 8/4: And the winner is, Peter Capaldi. I don't know his work as the profane spin doctor In the Thick, nor it's film spinoff In the Loop, with our own beloved James Gandolfini.

I do now remember him in the 10/Donna Pompeii episode (with, as everyone is pointing out, a pre-Amy Pond Karen). And realize he is the producer guy in season 2 of The Hour. The Hour reference Matt Smith made in his taped segment was a nice fake out, since Ben Whishaw is a star of the series, people forget Capaldi is in it too.

But the best memory is of him is in the lovely 1983 Bill Forsyth film Local Hero.  The young Capaldi hits a bunny with the car ("maybe it's just stunned ") then he and Peter Riegert have to sit and wait out the fog.





[Original Post]
The Summer Surprise. Tomorrow at 2:00 pm the next Doctor will be announced in a live special. Interesting approach.  Thought is it must be someone an audience would have an immediate reaction to. No one knew who Matt Smith was, so a live appearance would have made no sense. So the money is going toward either a famous actor, an actor of color, or a woman, all of which would make for good live television for immediate reactions.

The chart below is from the composite site OddsChecker, which like the airline sites like Kayak, shows you the odds across 23 different sites for your optimal betting pleasure.

I don't know Peter Capaldi, I never saw The Thick of It. #2 on the list is Andrew Scott. I like that he's an Irishman, from Dublin. We've had the Scotts, it's time to cycle through the rest of the British Isles.

Lots of crazy names on the list, like Hugh Laurie, Damian Lewis, Billie Piper, and David Tennant!  I think it's a good time for either a Doctor of color, or a woman.

Click over to Oddschecker for real time odds updates.





4 comments:

DearOlDad said...

Thanks for the update! I've recently gotten my boys hooked on the Doctor, so we are oing back through old seasons. I began watching a few years back when Christopher Eccleston was the 9th, but somehow I missed David Tennant, so I am enjoying that aspect of Season 4. Ood that I had missed those years.

Tim F said...

Capaldi has Who previous: he was Caecilius in The Fires of Pompeii and Frobisher in the Torchwood five-parter Children of Earth.

Mapeel said...

DOD, I don't have a long history with the Doctor, but for me Tennant is THE Doctor. Great mixture of power hungry, compassionate, lonely, funny. Just perfect.

Tim, I love the Pompeii episode, now vaguely remember him. He's really not known to Americans (not that that should matter at all). Did you see that Fox is going to remake Broadchurch. Ugh.

Tim F said...

Yes I saw that. Not *necessarily* a bad thing; House of Cards was pretty good I thought. But I'm not waiting on the edge of my couch.